Have you heard about the new diet everyone is talking about? Yes, you guessed right! It's the ketogenic diet or better known as the keto diet. As with any diet, there are upsides as well as downsides. In this article, we will take an in-depth look at what a keto diet is, how to achieve ketosis, and what types of keto pills and supplements are on the market. With this said, it may be difficult to stick to this diet, like any other diet. As a result, many products have been designed that are either specific to low-carbohydrate diets like this one, or products specific to the keto diet. Thus we will also discuss the effect ketogenic products have on these dieters, especially for those on a keto weight loss journey. Keep on reading to discover all the facts you need to know.
What Is The Ketogenic Diet?
The ketogenic diet (1) is based on a different calorie distribution that you may be used to. It typically follows a high-fat, adequate-protein, and low-carbohydrate approach. The primary use for this diet is to help treat epilepsy in children. Further, it is used to manage diabetes, Alzheimer's, and even multiple sclerosis. However, due to its benefits and results, many people have started following some or other form of a keto weight loss diet.
So how does this ketogenic diet work? Usually, an individual consumes carbohydrates (2) as the main source of energy. The body will convert these carbohydrates that are consumed into glucose, which will fuel the body and the brain. However, due to the body receiving fewer carbohydrates, it has to find something else to be the main source of fuel. This is where burning fat comes into play. The idea is to get about 70 to 80 percent of your total calories from fat. This means that you will have to eat less than 50 grams of carbohydrates per day (3).
The liver takes the fat and converts it into fatty acids and ketone bodies. The ketone bodies are used in the place of glucose as the main source of energy. Due to the body now having more ketone bodies in the bloodstream, it is known as a state of ketosis (4). The benefits of being in a state of ketosis are as follows:
- Not as hungry all the time
- Stability of energy levels throughout the day
- A lower insulin resistance
- Helps to improve brain functions
- Can focus better and concentrate longer
- And, of course, weight loss
A ketogenic diet is a low-carbohydrate, high-fat diet which aims to put the body in a state of ketosis. This means that you have to consume less than 50 grams of carbohydrates per day. By putting the body in ketosis, you start to burn fat as your main source of energy instead of carbohydrates. This method provides the body with enough energy to feel fuller for longer as well as lower insulin resistance.
Can Ketogenic Products Help You Stay On Track?
Following the ketogenic diet may not be the easiest as it is a very strict diet. This is because one has to keep their carbohydrate intake low and their fat intake high in order to stay in a state of ketosis. With this said, you still need to consume an adequate amount of protein.
So, to answer the question, 'Are Ketogenic Products Helpful?' yes they are. The most helpful are snacks and meal replacements or carbohydrate alternatives (5). There are many brands in the pipeline that wish to produce ketogenic products, however, there are already a few of these brands that have skyrocketed to popularity. Due to the fact that the keto weight loss diet is so popular (due to having more energy, better focus, and notable weight loss), users cannot wait for all the new ketogenic products to launch.
In addition to this excitement, the ketogenic products will help individuals stick to this diet. It will also help those individuals that lead a very busy lifestyle as finding a carbohydrate alternative in a hurry is not always an easy task. Also, the place where one usually falls off a diet is when it comes to snacking. Luckily, there are many ketogenic specific snacks that have been developed to help you stay on track. From salty kale chips to sweet cookies and snack bars, there is something for everyone. It is quite interesting to see how people that are not on this diet are also interested in the products.
Due to so many people wanting to use the keto diet and the fact that one is so busy every day, it is evident that ketogenic products are very helpful. This is because one does not always have the time to search for a carbohydrate alternative. In addition to this, many people love to snack. The fact that there are also various salty and sweet keto snacks can help prevent you from falling out of a state of ketosis.
What Ketogenic Products Are Available?
When being on a diet like this, you want to know if you are doing it right. With this said, you can determine how your state of ketosis is going by testing for ketones in the body. The nice thing is that you do not have to go see a doctor for this. You can purchase test strips which you urinate on to measure the ketones in the body (6).
Other than this product (mentioned above) that is available for home use, there are other very beneficial ketogenic products on the market that will help you on your diet. Mostly, these are replacements for carbohydrates to help keep you in a state of ketosis. A few examples include (7):
- Flour - The best flour to choose is Almond flour. It has a somewhat sweet taste, however, it can be used in most recipes as you would use normal flour. In addition to this, it is high in protein and fiber. Unfortunately, this is not a safe option for individuals with a nut allergy.
- Rice - Cauliflower rice is a very good alternative to the usual rice which is filled with carbohydrates and something which is consumed in almost every meal. Other than the texture being a little different to rice, it will test and look quite the same. It can be steamed or fried which makes it very versatile.
- Milk - A great cow's milk substitute is almond milk. This milk is not really creamy, however, it is a much better choice to help keep those carbohydrates down.
- Chips - Now, this may be something to get use to - Kale chips. Fortunately, if you are prone to snacking, this may be the best change you make. The nice thing about these chips is that you can make them at home. All you need to do is fry fresh kale until it is crispy. Luckily, kale chips are also available for purchasing.
- Oil - Most people use vegetable oil - which you may think is a healthier option - however it is not. This is because the structure of the oil changes when it is heated. This structure change is not very beneficial for our bodies. As a result, coconut oil is the best alternative. This fat is also a great option to help keep your fat intake high.
- Spaghetti - Luckily there are many spaghetti alternatives (8) available to choose from. You can buy black bean spaghetti, shirataki noodles, spaghetti squash (zucchini noodles), and kelp pasta just to name a few. These spaghettis are veggie based and are either low in carbohydrates or contain no carbohydrates.
- Snack Bars - Other than the kale chips, there are many other snacks on the market. One example is plant-based high-fat snack bars.
- Cookies - These are made from coconut flour, butter, and almond flour and contain no sugar, a small amount of carbohydrates, and a good amount of healthy fats.
- Keto meal shake powders - These shakes contain an adequate amount of protein and enough fats to keep you in a state of ketosis. They can even be used as a meal replacement. Just add it to water, black tea or coffee.
Thus far, there are many ketogenic products available to purchase and many more to come. In addition to this, there are carbohydrate alternatives to help you along the way. One can also purchase keto test strips that can be used at home to see if you are still in a state of ketosis. Furthermore, there are also healthy fat alternatives to help you keep to a high fat intake.
What Are The Best Keto Supplements On The Market?
Other than purchasing a ketogenic product, one can also look for keto supplements. The best keto supplements on the market are exogenous ketones. Exogenous ketones (9) are ketones that have been developed externally and comes in a form of beta-hydroxybutyrate (BHB), which our bodies usually produce. The idea with this supplement (10) is to ingest it if you have consumed something that is not so keto-friendly. This ketogenic product comes in the form of powdered ketone salts. This supplement is however not a quick fix when you eat high amounts of carbohydrates every day. It is an aid to provide you with ketones and to keep you in a state of ketosis.
When looking at keto pills (11), there is still much research that must be done. New scientific studies are constantly being published as more and more manufacturers attempt to produce the most effective keto pill.
Other than the ketogenic alternatives one can use during cooking and the snacks that are available, there are also supplements and pills that are provided. When looking at the best keto supplements, it is crucial to choose a product that comes in the form of a BHB (powdered keto salts). This is not a quick fix, however, it is used to help when you have eaten something that is not so keto-friendly.
The Ultimate Take Home Message About Ketogenic Products
In conclusion, ketogenic products are really very helpful. This is because most people do not have the time to think up alternatives to ensure they keep the carbohydrates they eat low. Furthermore, it is much easier to purchase a product that is specific to your diet than having to wonder what works and what does not. As we are all so busy, may it be with studies, work, or children, faster and easier products will also help one stick to this low-carbohydrate, high-fat diet.
Luckily there are also keto pills on the market as well as supplements. Unfortunately, there are not many specific ketogenic products on the market as many products are used across different diets. However, as long as it contains low to no carbohydrates, you are good to go.
The use of the ketogenic diet claims to help prevent certain diseases and aid in weight loss. For these reasons, it is good to know that there are ketogenic products being developed to help achieve ones specific goals.