Garcinia Cambogia is an herbal supplement that has skyrocketed in popularity in recent years. The people who use this product on a regular basis report that they notice a significant improvement in their body's ability to lose extra fat. However, is this product truly safe to use? In this article, we will be examining this herbal ingredient in depth. We will provide you with information regarding the known side effects associated with this ingredient as well as some of the benefits that are associated with its use. With all of this information, you will be able to make an informed decision about this product and whether it is right for you.
What Is The History Behind Garcinia Cambogia?
Garcinia Cambogia has become an increasingly popular ingredient that is included in a wide variety of dietary supplements that are available. This ingredient was first discovered in the picturesque forests in India and Southeast Asia (1).
The people who live in these regions have been using the dried rinds of the fruits from Garcinia Cambogia trees for their astounding medicinal properties for generations. Originally, they would consume these fruits to calm an upset stomach or relieve the pain from intestinal problems. Additionally, these fruits were commonly used provide a unique flavor profile to their local cuisine.
However, once these fruits came to the attention of pharmaceutical companies across the globe it quickly became apparent that there were more benefits to this ingredient than most people realized. After extensive research, it became clear that the active ingredient in Garcinia Cambogia is what makes it so effective.
This active ingredient is known as Hydroxycitric Acid (2). This particular acid reacts with the fat in your body and helps to break these cells down more effectively. This means that this ingredient is incredibly beneficial for people who suffer from obesity or who are overweight. Additionally, there is an extensive amount of information available that seems to indicate that there are many other benefits associated with the use of this ingredient.
Garcinia Cambogia extract is derived from the dried rinds of Garcinia Cambogia fruits, which grow on trees found in the forests in India and Southeast Asia. Traditionally, these fruits were used to treat minor stomach ailments as well as being used to add flavor to their foods. Once this ingredient gained mainstream attention it became clear that there are numerous additional benefits associated with this ingredient. The experts believe that this ingredient works so well because of its active ingredient which is known as Hydroxycitric Acid. HCA reacts with the fat cells in your body, which helps these cells to be broken down more effectively.
Are There Side Effects Associated With Garcinia Cambogia?
After thorough research, we were able to determine that it is highly unlikely for anyone to experience adverse reactions after using this extract. However, it is important to note that there are certain factors that could cause you to have an adverse reaction to this ingredient. Additionally, in rare circumstances, a few individuals have experienced some side effects after having used this ingredient. Some of the Garcinia Cambogia side effects you should be aware of include:
- Fatigue - This is the general sense of being tired and having significantly reduced energy levels. Additionally, fatigue can be categorized as being mentally and physically exhausted and not having any motivation. The only way to treat fatigue is to manage the root cause of the exhaustion.
- Brain Fog - The term brain fog is the blanket expression for a dysfunction in focus, learning, and memory (3). These dysfunctions can cause serious issues such as confusion, frustration or disorientation. Additionally, brain fog may cause a significant amount of anxiety in the individual who suffers from this condition.
- Skin Rashes - A rash can be categorized as a lesion on the skin that may appear scaly and red. Additional, a skin rash can cause a significant amount of itching and discomfort. Although this symptom is not serious it does indicate that there is something not right in your body.
- Decreased Immunity - Individuals with a weakened immune system will often experience frequent and recurrent infections such as pneumonia, bronchitis, or meningitis (4). Additionally, they will also suffer from inflammation, anemia, and digestive issues like loss of appetite and nausea.
- Cotton Mouth - This symptom is also known as dry mouth. It is caused by such a significant lack of saliva in the mouth that it is unable to become to become lubricated.
- Bad Breath - This is a side effect that is often a direct result of other side effects associated with this extract. Bad breath, or halitosis, is characterized by a foul odor that comes from the mouth. However, this bad smell often originates in the esophagus or the bowels.
- Headaches - A headache is often characterized by a continuous pain in your head. There are several ways that a headache may manifest. However, if you notice yourself developing a headache after you use this extract you should definitely view it as a warning sign that your body may not be reacting well to pure Garcinia Cambogia.
- Digestive Disturbances - If you suffer from digestive issues after you use an ingredient like this one you may notice a wide variety of issues. Some of these issues include bleeding, bloating, constipation, diarrhea, heartburn and nausea. Additionally, you may experience a significant amount of pain if you develop this side effect.
- Loss of Appetite - Another common side effect associated with the use of this ingredient is a loss of appetite. Although, this ingredient is intended to help you reduce your appetite you should seek help if you notice your appetite disappearing altogether (5).
The research seems to indicate that it is highly unlikely for anyone to experience side effects after they use pure Garcinia Cambogia. However, you should be aware that on rare occasions some people could experience side effects from this ingredient. Some of the side effects associated with this ingredient include fatigue, if you suffer from this side effect you will be constantly tired and unmotivated. Brain fog is another symptom that leaves you feeling tired and unable to focus. People experiencing side effects may exhibit a rash on their skin, a dry mouth, and bad breath. The halitosis is often a direct result of some of the other side effects. Another significant side effect associated with Garcinia Cambogia includes digestive disturbances like bleeding, bloating, constipation, diarrhea, heartburn, and nausea. Finally, you may experience a loss of appetite as a side effect of using this ingredient.
Could It Cause Adverse Reactions?
Although all of the information that is available seems to indicate that this product is safe to use there are a few things to bear in mind before using a supplement that contains pure Garcinia Cambogia. Individuals who are pregnant or nursing should use this ingredient with care. Additionally, this product may not be suitable for children or the elderly. Furthermore, individuals who suffer from liver or kidney damage should avoid using any products that contain this ingredient.
Additionally, the research seems to indicate that this ingredient could potentially react with a variety of different medications. If you are taking any of the following medications you should use caution when trying this ingredient:
- Asthma and allergy medication
- Diabetes medication
- Iron supplements
- Certain pain medications
- Anxiety and depression medication
- Cholesterol-lowering medications
- Blood Thinners
If you are at all uncertain whether it is safe for you to use a product that contains Garcinia Cambogia you should consult an individual who is knowledgeable about drug interactions. Additionally, we believe that it is always a good idea to consult your doctor before taking any new supplements to inform yourself correctly before you use it.
If you are pregnant, nursing, or suffer from liver or kidney damage you should use caution before taking a supplement that contains Garcinia Cambogia. Additionally, this ingredient may not be suitable for children or the elderly. If you are taking any medications like insulin, pain medication, or iron supplements you should also be aware that it may cause adverse reactions with these drugs. Finally, we would recommend that you consult your doctor before using any new supplements to ensure that it is safe for you to use.
Are There Benefits To Garcinia Cambogia?
When you look at all of the potential side effects associated with this ingredient it may be easy to assume that this is a supplement that may not be worth it. However, we are here to tell you that the benefits far outweigh the potential side effects. Additionally, it is important to remember that there is only a slim chance of developing any negative reactions. Some of the amazing benefits that you can achieve by using this ingredient include:
1. Helps You Burn Fat
In our opinion, the most impressive benefit that you will see if you use pure Garcinia Cambogia is weight loss. This ingredient contains properties that inhibit an enzyme known as adenosine triphosphate citrate lyase. When this enzyme is blocked, your body will no longer store excess energy as fat. The research studies indicate that individuals who used this extract were able to lose weight at an accelerated rate when compared to individuals who have not used this ingredient. Additionally, this effect may be dramatically improved if you use Garcinia Cambogia and Apple Cider Vinegar together.
2. Controls Your Appetite
When you use an extract of pure Garcinia Cambogia your body will dramatically increase its production of serotonin. This neurotransmitter activates certain neurons and receptors that are responsible for sending signals to your brain that you are no longer hungry. Additionally, serotonin is known as the happy hormone, this means that your mental state will remain more stable when you use this ingredient. If you are happy and calm you will be far less likely to indulge in large binges. Furthermore, you will notice a significant decrease in the number of cravings you experience.
3. Regulates Blood Sugar
This ingredient helps to improve your body's ability to metabolize glucose, which is then used for energy. Additionally, pure Garcinia Cambogia helps to inhibit certain enzymes that cause the insulin levels in your blood to fluctuate. Finally, we were impressed to learn that this extract helps to alter the way your body digests carbohydrates. When you use this extract your body will burn these carbs as energy. Normally, your body would store these carbs as fat instead of using them to fuel your body.
4. Improved Digestion
There is some research that seems to indicate that continued use of this extract will improve the health of your digestive system. This ingredient helps to defend you from the development of ulcers as well as damage from inflammation. Additionally, combining Garcinia Cambogia and Apple Cider Vinegar together will provide an even more concentrated effect on the health of your digestive system. Improved digestion is crucial for individuals who prioritize weight loss.
5. Lowers Cholesterol
A final significant benefit associated with the use of this extract is that it lowers the levels of unhealthy cholesterol in your blood. Additionally, continued use of this ingredient will help to improve the levels of healthy cholesterol in your blood. Maintaining low levels of LDL cholesterol and high levels of HDL cholesterol is crucial for optimal heart health. Finally, the research seems to indicate that Garcinia Cambogia contains a variety of compounds that lower the levels of triglycerides in your bloodstream.